This recipe makes a very basic pancake or waffle recipe. Of course, you can always add some fabulous, in-season fruit, chopped nuts, lemon or orange zest, or even a few dark chocolate chips!
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (makes a more tender and delicate product)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbs. ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Agave nectar
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl until well-blended.
- In another bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients until blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until almost no lumps remain.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium-high heat until hot. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. When hot, add 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Let cook until bubbles start to form and break on the surface of the pancake; flip and let cook about 1-2 minutes more. Remove from griddle to a plate to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Topping ideas: fresh fruit, all-fruit preserves, fruit puree, real maple syrup, maple-agave syrup. Try to stay away from the whipped cream!
NOTE: If you are adding fruit to your pancakes, make sure to do so as soon as the batter gets in the pan. If you are adding chopped or slivered nuts, add it to the batter in the bowl.