You know that yummy seven-layer dip that attracts a crowd at any gathering – layers of refried beans, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. Although many of those ingredients are actually good for you, the whole mess packs a ton of calories and fat, especially when being scooped up by tortilla chips (the fried ones, of course!). The U Rock Girl version takes the same classic flavors, cuts the unnecessary fat, and bumps up the nutrition by turning it into a salad. What a great idea!
SEVEN LAYER DIP SALAD
- 1 head romaine lettuce (save time by using the pre-washed bagged lettuce)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 jar tomatillo salsa (Trader Joe’s makes a great one)
- 2 avocados (or use 2 packages of Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 (16 oz.) container fresh salsa (hot, mild, mango – your choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded light Mexican cheese blend or cotija cheese
- 2 corn tortillas (or 12 baked tortilla chips)
- Place the lettuce on a large serving platter.
- Prepare the beans by draining and rinsing them under water. Toss with cumin. layer on top of lettuce.
- Pour the tomatillo salsa over the layer of beans.
- To make your own guacamole, cut open the avocados, remove the flesh and mash with the juice of 1 lime (or use the pre-made guac). Spread that in a layer over the tomatillo salsa.
- Pour the chunky salsa over the guacamole. Top with a layer of shredded or cotija cheese.
- To make your own tortilla chips, cut each tortilla into 6 triangles. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oven, allow to cool, crush them up and toss on the salad as a crunchy top layer.