Bar-b-que season is officially here which usually means burgers and hot dogs. This summer is the summer of change – as in changing up the kind of burger you throw on the grill. Rather than good-ol’ hamburgers, how about bison burgers, Mexican turkey burgers, or Asian Salmon burgers? You can even go vegetarian. Who needs the meat when you have amazing flavor? Check out these two recipes, Asian Salmon Burgers and Rosemary-Scented Veggie Stack, that will make you forget all about hamburgers.
- 4 portabella mushrooms, gills scraped off
- 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced into ¼-inch thick rings
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, sliced into quarters lengthwise
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed from stem and chopped
- ½ cup reduced fat goat cheese
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns
- Oil the grates of a grill or grill pan. Heat grill on medium-high.
- Place a small saucepan on the grill and fill with ½ cup balsamic vinegar. Allow vinegar to come to a boil and reduce until a syrup.
- Place the mushrooms bottom-side up on the grill. Place the remaining vegetables on the grill. Pour 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar and ¼ tsp. rosemary into each of the mushrooms. Cook vegetables about 4-5 minutes. Turn over onion and bell pepper and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Spicy Asian Salmon Burgers
- 1 lb. wild Alaskan Salmon
- 1 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tbs. sliced green onion
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbs. panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 leaves bibb lettuce
- 4 tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Chop the salmon into very small pieces with a knife or use a food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Place salmon in a large glass mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into 4 patties.
- Oil the grates of a grill or gill pan and turn heat to medium-high. Place the salmon patties on the grill and cook 4 minutes per side.
- Place ½ cup cucumber slices in a bowl and cover with vinegar. Marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the salmon burger on a large lettuce leaf. Top with 1 tbs. hoisin sauce and 1 tbs. marinated cucumber slices. Optional, place on a whole grain hamburger bun or dinner roll.
4 Servings. Per serving: 314 calories; 5.5 (g) fat; 28.5 (g) carbs; 33.8 (g) protein