Nothing sounds as delicious and refreshing on a hot summer’s day as a bowl of cold, gazpacho soup! But rather than follow a traditional recipe, which is red in color thanks to the red tomatoes and bell peppers, why not change the color and taste and go GOLDEN?!
Our Golden Gazpacho soup recipe features heirloom yellow tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, and some mango for a little sweetness to balance out all of the acidity and savory notes. Once you try this recipe, you will want to make it again and again. Plus, it’s super easy to make because all you have to do is pop everything into the blender and give it a whirl! Easy, delicious, and healthy.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- 1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- 2. Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- 3. Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes with mango until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.