Does this sound like your life? Well, it’s a lot like ours. Then add on the fact that we barely sleep at night and our minds never shut off with all that there is to do between home, kids, the wellness coaching business, and writing for U Rock Girl. Some of the time the stress really gets to us and we just lose it! It might be a snippy comment to a friend or colleague or yelling at the kids. Yes, it gives us a temporary release, but then we feel bad about the unhealthy nature of our actions.
Well, there’s a better way to deal with the building stress in your life. Just breathe. Yes, the simple act of stopping what you’re doing and turning to a focused pattern of breathing can bring you instant calm and decrease the stress hormones flooding your body. Try this technique that we learned from Dr. Andrew Weil – it’s called 4-7-8 breathing. It can be done anytime and anywhere. We recommend you try to incorporate it whenever you feel your stress level rising, as well as before bed, which will make falling asleep much easier.
- Find a quiet and comfortable place to sit. Close your eyes.
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth. Keep your tongue in this position throughout the entire exercise.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale through your mouth, through pursed lips, making a “whooshing” sound for a count of eight.
- Repeat this cycle three more times.
- Open your eyes.
Now, don’t you feel better?