So, how are you celebrating this Labor Day? Are you going to the beach? Hitting the pool? Attending or hosting a party? Whatever you do, food is surely to be involved. What’s on your menu?
Our planned Labor Day menu is a little different than the traditional burgers and dogs or even BBQ chicken and ribs. This year we decided to do a kicked-up taco bar. With a whole bunch of people coming over, we figure we have to make it a little easier on ourselves. We decided to make a few items from scratch, but are employing some well-chosen shortcuts as well.
Here’s the Menu:
- Trader Joe’s pollo asado – cooked on the BBQ
- Trader Joe’s carne asada – cooked on the BBQ
- Fresh red snapper, which we marinate in lemon and lime zest, lemon juice, lime juice, ground cumin, and ground chili powder – BBQ’d
- Black beans (canned, rinsed and drained) seasoned with Trader Joe’s salsa verde – heated in a pot on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave
- Corn tortillas – heated in the oven or over an open flame
- Salsas: fire-roasted salsa; pico de gallo; salsa verde; mango salsa
- Guacamole mixed with fresh lime juice (to add flavor and prevent oxidation)
- Trader Joe’s spicy black bean dip
Add some salad, fresh fruit, and dessert, and we’re all set!
Have a happy and rockin’ Labor Day!