Baby, it’s hot outside! It’s the beginning of May, and we are sizzling out here in the west. Three days of 90-plus degrees. Dry and windy. We’re thirsty and in desperate need of something to cool us off.
Yes, it’s Smoothie Time!
Now, if you already have our new cookbook, “No Excuses! 50 Healthy Ways to ROCK Breakfast!” then you have been enjoying some of our favorite shakes and smoothies, which are perfect for a meal or snack. If you don’t have it, what are you waiting for?
Making your own shakes and smoothies is always smarter than buying one from the local smoothie shack. Most of those smoothies are full of added sugar (from ice, cream, fro yo, or sherbert) and low in protein. While delicious, it will leave you feeling hungry pretty quickly. Here is the U Rock Girl basic formula for making a well-balanced smoothie that will leave you full for hours (from our Smoothie 101 post):
- pick a liquid base (juice, milk, dairy-free milk, water, coconut water)
- pick 1-3 fruits and vegetables
- add a scoop of protein powder (whey or vegan)
- add a nut, seed, or nut butter
- additional ice
That’s it. Pretty easy. And it allows your creativity to soar. But if you need a little help, try our Pomegranate Blueberry Bombshell, which is loaded with antioxidants, good carbs, protein, and healthy fats.
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen wild organic blueberries
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbs. chia or hemp seeds
- additional ice (if necessary)
- Place all ingredients in a blender (we love the Vitamix), cover with the lid, and turn the machine on low. Gradually increase the speed of the motor until everything is smooth. Add additional ice if you prefer a thicker smoothie.