No meal would be complete without dessert. And on the 4th of July, which is just a few days away, your dessert should proudly boast the colors of the American flag. So, we here at U Rock Girl have come up with a dessert that is not only nutritious and delicious, but patriotic as well. The featured fruit of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber that protects your heart, reduces your risk of diabetes and cancer, and decreases inflammation in the body. Our addition of Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and the tartness is a nice contrast to the sweet berries. Enjoy our Red, White, and Blue Tart!
And don’t think that you can’t enjoy this tart any day of the year. There’s no need to deny these sweets because they are healthy and delicious!
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz.) container organic plain Greek yogurt
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1/2 cup strawberry all-fruit preserves
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 1 cup organic strawberries
- Fresh mint for garnish
- To make the crust, place the dates, pecans, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until combines. Fill a tart pan (with a removable bottom) with the crust mixture, flattening it across the bottom. Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350F. Remove and let cool while you make the rest of the recipe.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt and lemon zest.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the jam. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove and stir. Add the berries to the melted jam and toss to coat.
- Pour the lemon-yogurt mixture on the bottom of the tart shell. Top with berries. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.