Do you ever get tired of eating meat day after day? Feel weighed down from having hamburgers, steak, and chicken for almost every meal? Take a break and try our roasted vegetable sandwich!
We love this recipe because it’s easy to make it your own. Not feeling the pesto (although we highly recommend)? Opt for some olive oil mayo or balsamic glaze. Pack on any kind of cheese you wish and go wild with the bread (whole grain or gluten-free)! However, the stars of the show are the vegetables, packed with so much flavor, you will be wanting more.
This recipe is especially great during the hot summer months, since it is light and easy to make. Plus, it’s so colorful- you eat with your eyes, too!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into rounds (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced into rounds (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- store-bought or homemade pesto (check out our cilantro pesto
- optional: goat cheese, feta cheese, or homemade yogurt cheese
- Bread: whole grain or gluten free or try this awesome paleo bread recipe
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet (or 2) with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the vegetables on the baking sheet(s) and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Place in oven and roast 8 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Some vegetables may take longer to cook, so remove them as they are ready. Allow to cool.
- Open the sandwich bread and spread one side with 1 tbs. pesto sauce. Layer the vegetables (2 slices eggplant, 2 sliced zucchini, 1 piece bell pepper, 1 slice onion) on top of the pesto and finish with 1-2 tbs. of the goat, feta, or yogurt cheese (optional). Top with the other half of the bread.
- Heat a panini press or grill pan. Place the sandwich on the pan and press to close. If using a grill pan, place a weight or another pan on top of the sandwich to weigh it down. Grill about 2 minutes, or until grill marks form. Remove and serve. Yum!