Are you looking for a quick, healthy, and tasty meal? Pizza is a tried and true favorite for men and women and kids of all ages. With the right crust and the right toppings (veggies, part-skim mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce), pizza can be part of a healthy diet – one that helps to protect your heart, reduce your risk of cancer and diabetes, and whittle your waist. Unfortunately, any possible health benefits are usually undone by the fatty, salty toppings (pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, extra cheese) commonly found on pizza. So make your own, control the quantity and quality of ingredients, and reap the health (and taste) benefits.
Instead of a traditional wheat crust, we would like to introduce you to Socca. What is socca? It’s a quick bread made from chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour. Chickpea flour is gaining in popularity as a delicious gluten-free substitute and can be found online as well as at your local supermarket. Making socca couldn’t be easier, with just four ingredients! Once you try it, you’ll want to keep experimenting with all different types of toppings. You can make them thick like pancakes to thin like flat bread. In this recipe, it resembles a traditional pizza crust. We hope you enjoy it!
- 1 cup chickpea or garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 Tbs. dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup organic marinara sauce
- 1 cup oven-roasted vegetables (onion, eggplant, bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom, garlic)
- 2 tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 large basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbs. balsamic glaze
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, water, olive oil, salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir well and set aside for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to Broil.
- Place a cast iron skillet (we use a 10-inch) or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat on the stove. Add 1 Tbs. olive oil. When oil is hot, add the batter to the pan and swirl topcoat the pan. Cook 2 minutes and transfer to the oven and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with marinara sauce, roasted veggies, and parmesan cheese. Return to oven and broil 3 minutes more.. Remove and top with fresh basil leaves. Slice into wedges and drizzle with balsamic glaze.