When it’s hot outside, the last thing you want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. One of our favorite no-fuss, no-cook, simple recipes if for a delicious, nutritious, and refreshing salad that uses only 4 ingredients. It couldn’t be any easier and it uses ingredients you probably already have in your fridge. You can enjoy this salad as part of a meal or add some clean protein (black beans, tofu, shrimp, salmon, shredded chicken breast) to make it a complete meal.
tomatoes – lycopene-rich tomatoes happen to be in peak-season right now and can help reduce your risk of heart disease as well as prostate cancer for the men in your life.
avocado – a great source of anti-inflammatory and heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber, and belly-bloat-fighting potassium
cucumber – a good source of cancer-fighting and heart disease-reducing lignans as well as vitamin K and potassium. Even better, they are so low in calories that you can eat a whole cup of cucumbers for only 15 calories!
vinegar – the acid in vinegar helps your body absorb nutrients from food, such as calcium and iron.
SIMPLE SUMMER GARDEN SALAD
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1/2 hot house cucumber
- 1/4 cup peach-mango salsa
- 1 tbs. light seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbs. mashed avocado
1. Wash the cucumber and shred it with a box grater. If you are lucky enough to have this cool gadget which quickly juliennes your veggies (mine is by OXO), you will get a great result.
2. Add the rice vinegar, salsa, and mashed avocado to the cucumbers and stir to mix well.
3. You can add black beans, brown rice, quinoa, cooked shrimp, salmon, tofu, or enjoy with some corn tortillas to make a more complete meal. Enjoy!