Time to lighten up your meals.
You want your meals to be well-balanced, with good carbs, lean protein, and healthy fats, so you can walk away from your meal feeling energetic, not weighed-down.
And we bet you want something that’s easy to make, especially on those days when you’ve had a long day and don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen when you get home. Great news! This recipe will take you less time than stopping for take-out or ordering in something that probably isn’t on your clean-eating plan.
Clean carbs? We give you soba (buckwheat) noodles. Soba noodles are a thin Japanese noodle that are nutty and delicious. Most are gluten-free, but check your packaging because some are a blend of buckwheat and wheat flours. Besides its great taste, these noodles cook up in just 4 minutes! If you are going grain-free, sub in either zucchini or sweet potato noodles.
Lean protein? Check. Luscious and delicious crab. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere that has fresh crab, then we suggest you buy some crab legs or a whole dungeness crab and use that meat (though a bit more time-consuming). We actually buy canned lump crab meat from our local Trader Joe’s (in the refrigerated section) and have been very happy with the quality of the product. The crab is sweet and feels quite decadent, for very few calories.
Healthy fats? Yep. Avocado makes an appearance in this dish – that green goddess adds a creamy texture.
The light Scallion vinaigrette gets its bright flavor from the lemon zest and lemon juice and a hint of a salty note from a splash of low-sodium tamari. All the dressing ingredients go into the blender for a quick buzz before you toss everything together in one bowl. That leaves very little clean-up.
p.s., We made this dish for a recent cooking class and it was a HUGE hit! Bon appetit!
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped (reserve the dark green tops)
- 1 tsp. low-sodium wheat-free tamarin sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (organic lemon)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3/4 lb. soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 1/2 lb. lump crab meat
- In a blender combine ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, scallions, tamari, and lemon zest. Pour vinaigrette into a large bowl and stir in diced avocado.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook soba noodles 4 minutes. Drain and place into bowl with vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Gently fold in the crab meat. Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallion tops.
If you are following a Paleo or low-carb diet, replace the soba noodles with spiraled sweet potato or zucchini. Both are delicious options.