There’s something about summer rolls that’s just so much fun. They’re beautiful to look at and fun to make. The best thing of all is that you really don’t even need a recipe to make them. Just gather a bunch of your favorite foods for the filling, wrap, dip, and eat.
Our general rule for filling ingredients is the following:
- Pick a protein: crab, salmon, shrimp, tofu, shredded chicken
- Pick some vegetables: julienned cucumbers and carrots, butter lettuce
- Add some fresh herbs: cilantro, mint, and basil are our top three
- Add something creamy: thin slices of avocado do the trick
- Add something sweet: we love fresh mango slices, but papaya or julienned apple or pear would also work
If you’ve never worked with the rice paper wrappers before, there’s a little you need to know about working with them. First, get a pot of water on the stove to boil. Pour some of the hot water into a pie plate. Add one rice paper circle to the water and make sure it gets submerged. In about 20-30 seconds, it will become soft and pliable. Carefully remove the rice paper wrapper from the water, keeping it as stretched out as possible and then transfer to a cutting board. It’s okay if the wrapper tries to fold up on itself a bit. Just do your best to try to smooth it out.
To fill your summer roll, start by placing a leaf of butter lettuce near the edge closest to you. Top with some cucumber and carrots, a slice of avocado, one or two slices of mango, and then the crab or shrimp (or whatever protein you are using). Top with fresh herbs.
Rolling your summer roll is a lot like rolling a burrito. Lift the edge closest to you and fold it up and over the filling, rolling away from you. Fold the sides in toward the center and continue roll away from you until it is sealed. Repeat with remaining rice paper and filling until you’ve made as many as you would like.
Every good summer roll needs a delicious dipping sauce. Our two favorites: sweet-spicy and peanut sauce.
To make the sweet-spicy sauce: mix 2 tbs. apricot preserves with 1 tsp. low-sodium tamari, 1 tsp. rice vinegar, and 1/4 tsp. sriracha hot sauce.
To make the peanut sauce: mix 2 tbs. peanut butter with 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil, 1 tsp. tamari, and 1 tsp. rice vinegar
This Summer Roll recipe is easy and fun for the entire family!
- 6 spring roll wrappers (rice paper wrappers)
- 6 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 cup julienned cucumbers
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 12 oz. crab, shrimp, salmon, or tofu
- 1 mango, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- cilantro leaves
- Fill a pie plate with very hot water. Submerge one wrapper in the water and let soak for 30 seconds. Carefully remove from water to a cutting board. Flatten out.
- Place one leaf of lettuce on wrapper toward the edge closest to you. Top with cucumber, carrots,
- Place 2 oz. crab/shrimp/salmon/tofu on top of vegetables.
- Top with avocado, mango, and cilantro.
- Roll by lifting the edge closest to you and fold over the filling away from you. Fold in the sides toward the center and continue rolling away from you until sealed.
Nutritional Analysis is for tofu.