On a hot summer day, you need something to cool you down. If you’re like us, you want something that’s quick to fix, won’t heat up the kitchen, and will keep you bathing suit-ready. A nice bowl of chilled soup that’s packed with flavor is just the ticket. These recipes are chock-full of fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs. We like to buy organic produce from our local farmers market. That way we know everything is super-fresh and brimming with disease-preventing, immunity-boosting antioxidants and phytochemicals. All of the recipes are ready in a few short minutes and are truly “figure-friendly.”
PINEAPPLE GAZPACHO SOUP
- 2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes (yellow or red)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper (optional), to taste
- Puree 3/4 of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. Pour into a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients for some added texture. Taste and adjust seasonings by adding more salt, pepper, or hot sauce, to taste.
4 servings: Per Serving: 97 calories; 0.8 (g) fat; 23.9 (g) carbs; 3.9 (g) protein
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- 2 pounds organic heirloom tomatoes (I like to mix red and yellow)
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until almost smooth.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- This quick and easy tomato soup is delicious hot or cold. Makes four servings of tomato and basil soup.
4 servings: Per serving: 271 calories; 2.4 (g) fat; 51 (g) carbs; 13.2 (g) protein
CHILLED MANGO CHIPOTLE SOUP
- 2 mangoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- zest from 1/4 lime
- juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder or 1/4 tsp. fresh chopped ginger
- dash sea salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Puree all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add more spices to taste, and serve cold.
4 servings: Per serving: 49 calories; 0.2 (g) fat; 13.2 (g) carbs; 0.5 (g) protein
AVOCADO -GREEN CHILI SOUP
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 cups soy, rice, or almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 (4 ounce) can of green chilies
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- dash sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a food processor or blender, process together all ingredients except cilantro until smooth. Stir in the cilantro and serve chilled.
4 servings: Per serving: 108 calories; 7.2 (g) fat; 7.4 (g) carbs; 1.2 (g) protein