There’s just something about a bowl of tortilla soup that makes you happy. Maybe it’s the smooth and creamy texture. Or the blend of spices that screams, “YUM!” This sound couldn’t be easier to make and is a total crowd-pleaser.
And let’s talk about versatile. The recipe is pretty simple. Kind of like a blank canvas on which you can create your masterpiece. By itself, the soup is absolutely delicious. It really doesn’t need anything else. Or you can turn it into a meal, full of different textures by adding all sorts of toppings, like crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado, or crunchy pepitas (green pumpkin seeds). Throw in some shredded chicken, grilled shrimp, or a scoop of black beans for a punch of protein. Then top it all of with a squeeze of fresh lime and additional cilantro leaves for extra brightness. It really is a bowl of happy.
Your tastebuds will thank us.
So will your belly.
And then you’ll want it again tomorrow.
You don’t have to wait for a rainy day to enjoy this soup. It’s great 365 days a year.
This smooth, creamy soup just yells "comfort". Feel free to add shredded chicken, shrimp,or black beans for protein and crushed tortilla chips, pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), or avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime for toppings.
- 2 BPA-free cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup sweet onion, sliced
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tbs. ground chili powder
- 1/2 tbs. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 qt. low-sodium Vegetable stock (or chicken stock) or bone broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen organic sweet corn kernels
- Hot sauce to taste
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tbs. plain Greek yogurt
- Heat a stockpot coated with olive oil spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add tomatoes, onion, tortillas, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and cinnamon. Stir for 7-10 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add vegetable stock, corn, salt and pepper, and hot sauce, to taste. Cook until heated through. Add cilantro.
- Transfer to a blender container, in batches. Puree until smooth. When finished blending all of the soup, fold in the yogurt.
- Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and some chopped chives for a nice presentation.