Now that fall is well underway and winter is approaching, we find ourselves turning to foods that are warm and hearty. Cold weather calls for steaming meals. Nothing says “comfort food” quite like a bowl of chili. Thick, meaty, and earthy, this version of chili will fill you up without filling you out. The unique blend of spices are warming and evoke memories of delicious meals that have been simmered for hours and good times spent with family and friends. The longer you let this chili simmer, the deeper the flavors become. The good news – it tastes even better then next day (if you’re lucky enough to have some left over!).
We took a traditional red chili recipe and swapped out the meat for more veggies and beans – perfect for a Meatless Monday! There’s plenty of protein and tons of fiber and the antioxidants are off the charts! Plus, it’s a one pot meal, and it can’t get any easier or perfect than that. Fuss free. Make sure to prepare a double batch of our vegetarian chili and store half in the freezer for a later date.
It’s always fun to learn something new everyday. Did you know that the hottest pepper in the world, ranked by Guinness Records, is the Carolina Reaper?
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bag crimini mushrooms, minced in a food processor
- 2 (15 oz.) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tbs. ancho chili powder
- 2 tbs. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ can tomato paste
- 1 can white beans (kidney or cannellini)
- Coat a large stock pot with olive oil cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add all vegetables and all spices and sauté about 5-7 minutes, until starting to soften. Add tomato paste and stir into vegetables for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and beans. Stir to combine. Place a lid on pot, lower heat to simmer and allow to cook for 2 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt, pepper, if desired.
- Condiments: nonfat plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, chopped green onion, chocolate chips (believe us, it works), toasted pumpkin seeds, crushed tortilla chips.